Code for my personal website, seirdy.one. Built with Hugo.
Also builds my Gemini capsule: gemini://seirdy.one/.
- Hugo 0.93 or later
- bmake or GNU Make. OpenBSD make (omake) should work too, but I haven't tested it.
- Git (Hugo uses Git info for features like date last updated)
- htmlq, to parse HTML when fetching some webring links and for some post-processing.
- POSIX utils:
Before deploying, I use some tools to process the output.
xmllint, part of libxml2, to format the generated polygot XHTML5 markup.
- sd (for advanced multi-line regex operations, much of which exist to fix
I also apply static compression at max levels, using the following tools:
- Efficient Compression Tool It's like zopfli but more efficient and faster.
- rsync, with SSH and zstd support
- stylelint, invoked using pnpm.
- lychee, to check broken links.
- A very recent build of the w3c's Nu HTML checker to validate the HTML and XHTML.
- jq, to filter false-positives from the Nu HTML checker.
- To just build the HTML:
- To build the polygot formatted HTML and XHTML:
make hugo xhtmlize
- To lint and validate:
make hugo xhtmlize lint-local
- To build everything and compress:
make hugo xhtmlize compress
- To deploy the clearnet site and corresponding Tor hidden service:
make deploy-prod deploy-onion
make can parallelize only a little, since many jobs depend on previous jobs.
I made the site as inclusive as possible. Tested using multiple screen readers (Orca, TalkBack, Apple VoiceOver, Windows Narrator, NVDA), and I regularly test with the following browsers/engines. Testing in a browser does not imply any sort of endorsement; I just want to meet people where they're at and I want my site to be as robust as possible.
For all the listed options, I test "reading mode" whenever it's available. Most of my testing happens on Linux since that's my main OS, but I sometimes test on a Windows machine.
The main compatibility issue is a lack of support for
<details>; the only non-mainstream engine to support it is Servo. The site is still perfectly usable without support for
<details>; users will just be annoyed by pre-expanded toggle buttons that don't do anything.
- Gecko: Nightly, Stable, ESR, and sometimes Pale Moon
- the Tor Browser
- Blink: latest Chromium snapshot, stable, and QtWebEngine
- WebKit, via Webkit2GTK3
- The SerenityOS Browser (does not yet support ECDSA-based certs, so I test on my Tildeverse mirror). Known issue: SVG avatar doesn't render unless I view it in a new tab.
- Very old WebKit via rekonq (Qt4 QtWebKit).
- KHTML (KF5), via Konqueror.
- Tkhtml, via Hv3 (no TLS 1.2, so I use a terminating proxy or localhost version)
Tested on a provisional basis, when I have access to a Windows machine:
- Winternight Classic.
- IE 11.
- Even older WebKit, via Safari 5.1.7. Requires a TLS terminating proxy.
- Ancient Gecko, via NetScape Navigator. Requires a TLS terminating proxy.
Desktop screen readers tested:
- Windows Narrator
- TODO: borrow someone's mac and test macOS VoiceOver.
- Android: Blink, Gecko, Tor Browser
- iOS WebKit: latest stable version, iOS 12, iOS 10 on an iPhone 5. Also tested Reader Mode.
- TODO: try a KaiOS device and Samsung Internet's dark mode.
The site should work well even on viewports that are under 240 CSS pixels wide.
Mobile screen readers:
- TODO: test KaiOS Readout
- Borrowed an Apple Watch to try the embedded browser.
- TODO: test on a Tizen or Wear OS device's browser (Samsung Internet is a popular choice)
To my knowledge, this site meets all applicable WCAG 2.2 AA requirements.
This site meets all applicable WCAG 2.2 AAA requirements, with the following exceptions:
- SC 1.4.8 Visual Presentation: long article body text for articles should have an average character count per line below 80 characters. Some lines may exceed this limit. Text outside of article bodies has a longer line width.
- SC 2.4.9 Link Purpose (Link Only): I mostly follow this guideline, but there may be some exceptions. Link purpose in context is always clear, though.
- SC 3.1.5 Reading Level: the required reading ability often exceeds the lower secondary education level
- SC 3.1.6 Pronunciation: I do not yet provide pronunciation information.
I have only tested WCAG compliance in mainstream browser engines (Blink, Gecko, WebKit).
I also go further than WCAG in many aspects.
- Rather than follow SC 2.5.5's requirement to achieve a minimum tap target size of 44 by 44 pixels, I follow Google's more strict guidelines. These guidelines mandate that targets are at least 48-by-48 pixels, with no overlap against any other targets in a 56-by-56 pixel range.
- I ensure at least one such 56-by-56 pixel non-interactive region exists on the page, for users with hand tremors or or anyone who wants to tap the screen without clicking something.
- I only set custom colors in response to the
prefers-color-scheme: darkmedia query. These custom colors pass APCA contrast ratios, all being close to the ideal lightness contrast of 90. They are also autism- and overstimulation-friendly colors: yellow links are significantly de-saturated to reduce harshness.